Wednesday, October 14, 2009

16 weeks

We made it to 16 weeks!  Brent and I went in for our 16 week prenatal checkup with our midwife today.  I love the midwife we had last month, who unfortunately went on maternity leave until February (but that means she'll be back in time for our baby's arrival).  So today I met with a different midwife - who was great, but more concerned about my blood pressure than the previous one.  I get REALLY worked up before appointments, my systolic blood pressure is always high right when I walk in the office (which is when they seem to take the blood pressure unfortunately).  They usually retake it 5 minutes later after I've had some time to calm down and it is always in a normal range.    New midwife is concerned that the range gets so high - so now I am worried that I have some chronic high blood pressure condition.  I'm seeing a doctor about it soon just in case there is a problem, and the midwife said not too worry - it's mild if anything.  I'm sure my blood pressure is through the roof right now because I'm worrying about my blood pressure - this is a vicious cycle.  YIKES - so much to worry about these days.
Other than that - the appointment was great.  Baby's heartbeat is healthy strong and comes in at 158 bpm.  Last time we went the heart rate was 170 bpm.  Makes me wonder about the old wives' tale that girls have higher heart rates (higher than 140).  I was hoping we'd get an ultrasound today (other midwife said we would, new midwife said she doesn't do them unless there's a problem) - so we'll wait until the 27th to find out the gender at our BIG ultrasound.
We are counting down the days until our cruise, trying to get our halloween costumes together, and working way too much!
 

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ahhh, aren't you the cutest thing :) That black dress is HOTT, cleavage and all! Yes, you bet I just said hott. As for the blood pressure, there is a reason that you're supposed to take it after 5 minutes, because everyone gets worked up when they first come in! How high is it? Anyways, I will not leave a year-long comment on here, I will just give you a call tomorrow. Love ALL of you!

loriol said...

you look darling! I just found you're blog! Yeah I am so excited! That's a bummer on the ultrasound, I would want to know asap- don't worry about the BP-it's good that you have an attentive midwife though!

Margaret said...

Brandi, some people do run a higher BP when they are going for a doctor's appointment. However, it is such a good idea to keep it under control. Taking in less sodium, aka salt, helps. Also, is your midwife concerned about how much weight you have gained? She will tell you when to worry. For the time being, treat yourself with lots of love and TLC and you will be just fine!

Brandi and Brent said...

Thanks for the advice aunt Margaret! I have been cutting down the sodium so we'll see if it makes any difference at my next appointment. I've only gained 1.5 pounds since my pre-pregnancy weight so I'm doing okay in that department. No one seems that concerned - I'm jsut hypersensitive to any potential problem at the moment!