Thursday, December 17, 2009

26 week appointment and Update

I had my 26 week check-up today - got to meet another wonderful midwife.  These appointment seem pretty non-eventful lately.  We didn't even listen to heartbeat at this most recent one, just worked on "safe" techniques for sitting up and lifting and measured the fundal height (which is right where it should be).  OF COURSE my blood pressure did not cooperate - which worried the nurse but the midwife came in, took one look at my blood pressure log I've been keeping at home, and said I was just fine.  I wish I could bypass the nurse interactions all together - they always get me worked up and worried and the midwives do just the opposite.  I can't figure out why this is - probably because the nurses rush me to get on the scale, then sit down, and take my blood pressure right away and the midwife interactions are at a much more laid-back pace.  Oh well, I'm glad I'm keeping the log now.  The midwife I saw was excellent, and I've now met 4 of the 7 midwives on staff.  She said everything looked great and they don't need to see me again until 30 weeks.  I can't believe this is going by so quickly!

Update on baby Allred: he is still nameless.  We call him "baby."  He is always on the move and definitely has developed some routines - 4 a.m. is his favorite time of day which is ironic because I don't enjoy being awakened at this time at all.  His room is completely painted, his crib and dresser are set up, and boxes and boxes of baby clothes cover every inch of his floor.  There is a lot of nesting to be done.  We watched Discovery Channel's Documentary "In the Womb" and it is amazing - everyone pregnant should watch it just to see the incredible graphics of how the baby is developing at every stage as they follow a real pregnancy. I especially love that "baby" can hear outside noises now - he was the most active I've ever felt him when we were at a very loud restaurant the other night and a man was performing a TERRIBLE karaoke rendition of "Living on a Prayer."  It was really loud - the walls of the restaurant were shaking, the man was sharp on every note, and the entire room was singing along.  "Baby" loved or hated it - I don't know how to tell which.    "Baby" also kicks when Brent makes crazy noises up against my belly - it probably startles him!  The past couple of weeks of this pregnancy have been excellent - with the exception of one week where I was suspecting I was anemic by how incredibly exhausted I was, I have been feeling great. We've been busy with Christmas parties and I was so happy to be able to stay out late 2 nights in a row (close to 1 am!), just like old times.  A couple of months ago I would have been begging Brent to take me home by 9 pm.  I'm sure the exhaustion is on the brink of returning and this "easy" stage of pregnancy is nearing an end - but I am thankful to be feeling so great and able to keep doing my active job. 
 

No comments: