Friday, October 8, 2010

Update on Us

This has become Ryland's blog.  I get busy updating about him and forget to add things that don't necessarily concern him - but he is adorable, and I get distracted.

I realized the other day that our long-distance family that reads this blog probably has no idea what we are doing with our lives.  So what's going on in the lives of Brent and myself? 

Bent is currently getting his special education endorsement - which means more student teaching.  He is no longer a "student" - but is continuing to get his endorsement through Western Washington University.  He is teaching in a resource room at an Elementary School in Ballard where he *crossing fingers* may be hired on at in December.  He's working full-time there right now - for no pay.  He'd really really love to start getting a paycheck for teaching soon.

He was working nights and weekends at a pizza restaurant - joining the ranks of the overeducated and underemployed.  Luckily for him, I just had an opening for a male therapist to join the staff of the company I work for.  Brent is a perfect applicant and needless to say, I hired him right away.  He now is a therapy assistant to a teenager on the autism spectrum and will be working with him in the evenings.  He is happy to have a new job that requires him to use his special education degree and make a little more money than he was before.

I am working out of the house one afternoon a week still.  I would like to work a little more but intake is a little slow these days.  I definitely won't complain - as I really love being with my baby boy all day nearly every day.  If I could stay home full-time, I would.  A lot of my work is from home these days - which is perfect. 

So that's what we're up to. Brent is always gone - we will be happy when he can collect a paycheck for all the work he does!  We are really learning to be frugral - we've never had to watch our money so carefully before and it was definitely an adjustment.  I haven't been shopping for myself since before I got pregnant (it's been HARD!) - and I'll continue to sacrifice that until our income is up.  At least Ry is cheap right now - that won't be the case for much longer I'm sure!

A picture of us right after we were engaged - over 5 years ago.  We had NO IDEA what was in store for us.

2 comments:

ckallred8 said...

We so much enjoy your beautiful writing and photos - thank you! You are a wonderful family growing and learning together. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Greg and Michelle said...

Great update! It is good to know what you are guys are up to! Love the picture of you two as well:)