Wednesday, March 17, 2010

38.5 weeks

No picture this week - just picture slightly bigger than last week and just as round.  The midwives and nurses all laugh every time I have an appointment at my "roundest belly!!!"  Well, when you're 5 feet tall and you have a huge baby inside you - it takes over.  Our appointment yesterday was with my FAVORITE midwife - she's finally back from maternity leave and I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll be on call when I go into labor.  I really do love all the midwives, but we 'click' with her really well.  Plus, she remembered us from our 10 week visit!  Our appointment went great, except for the fact I gained 3 pounds in a week!  Yikes, shouldn't this weight gain thing slow down now??? My blood pressure was perfect and she thought it was ridiculous I was getting hassled by the OBs so much for a problem I don't have ("you do not have hypertension! Why do we keep bugging you so much?" - I love those words!)  Yet I will continue to do the non-stress tests weekly for the remainder of this pregnancy even though I'm not high-risk or anything - just because I'm already scheduled for them and "it doesn't hurt to keep getting them" the midwife told me.  The NSTs are fun actually - laying in bed and listening to our baby's heartbeat, Brent usually reads something to me from one of the corny traveling magazines they have in the room, and the nurse in the antepartem department is a hoot!  I also like seeing my contractions get stronger every week during the test.  Our midwife looked at the chart with my contractions on it and said, "well, I'm on call Wednesday and Thursday this week so maybe I'll see you."  False hope, I'm sure.  The contractions have been regular and timeable for the past 3 days - getting as close to 5 minutes apart and then they just STOP.  I'm feeling sure I have at least another week.
hopefully not much longer than a week though - during our appointment the midwife felt the baby and made a pretty confident guess that he's weighing in at 7.5 lbs right now ("he's a good-sized baby, but you've got a nice wide pelvis").  What?!  My family has 6 lb. babies....  This baby must take after the Allred side. 
All in all, things with baby are great.  I feel good.  2 more days of work is making me a little sad... 

2 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

I can't believe we are this far along! I hope that your favorite midwife is on call as well. It always helps to have someone there that you really connect with. It just helps. I am hoping for your sake that your little guy decides to come early!! We can't wait to see pictures! Good luck!!

Sonya said...

Brandi,
I'm so excited for you guys. Wish we could be there. Tell your dad to be sure to keep us posted - he can call, e-mail, or text! This is my first great-nephew!