Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fiercely Independent

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

We're learning this is very true.  Ryland seems to have inherited my stubbornness and need for independence.  It's a really annoying combination of traits.  For as long as I can remember, I have liked to do things myself.  I won't ask for help, no directions, I won't ever call customer service or take something to get repaired... I hated getting edits on my essays in high school and college, and erased any pencil strokes my art teacher added to my artwork.  Why?  Because I get it in my head that I can do it myself.  And usually I can, which just reinforces this behavior.  But it drives Brent crazy... and poor man, it looks like our child is JUST like me in this sense.  

Examples:

He will absolutely NOT allow you to put a pacifier in his mouth.  If you do, he will remove it and then immediately put it back in himself.

He will not take a bottle for ANYTHING anymore - because one of us has to hold it for him.  A sippy cup with handles is what he gets when he needs milk from a source other than mama.  And don't try to put it to his mouth... Just place it near him and walk away.  He likes to do things at his own pace.

No turning pages of his books - that's his job.
and the biggest one is: Ryland HATES it when we feed him.  He gets so mad that he'll scrunch up his whole face and throw whatever the offensive object was (e.g. a spoon) across the room.  Self-feeding it is. 

He's turning into quite the bossy little guy.  I totally take the blame for this one.  I'm sure he'll develop some of your less-than-desireable traits in time, Brent. 

Maybe a smartphone addiction?  Just like daddy.

No comments: