I can't count the number of times I've heard this about our crazy boy. Everywhere I go someone says something to that effect. The past week the comments have increased exponentially - and that's probably why my energy is so low lately.
This big messy guy had his 1 year check up today. We have a new pediatrician - our other one was getting overbooked and we were randomly selected to switch doctors. I loved the new pediatrician - we met her today. Her take on Ryland "He looks like he's doing great. He is definitely busy..." Um, yes. Busy doesn't even cover it.
In the 10 minutes that we were in the exam room, Ryland managed to open every drawer in the room and check out the contents, type on Dr. T's keyboard, turning her caps lock on and off and making our visit summary notes look very InTeReStInG (like so.) He did several laps around the room, pulled out all the magazines, proceeded to rip the covers off, rummaged through his diaper bag, shook his maraca-egg for a few minutes, slammed his finger in a drawer, screamed bloody murder, and still got an exam in there somewhere.... Holding him still for his head measurement and ear exam was the HARDEST thing. According to the head measurement we got today, his head hasn't grown at all in the past 4 months. I'm thinking this is because of the how darn wiggly he was today and the doctor agreed. They'll re-check at the next visit to make sure his brain is indeed growing (pretty sure it is)!
His stats:
Weight: 19.2 pounds
Height: about 30 inches
He's all-around about the 15th percentile.
So he's truly our "little" man. I hate when people tell me he's "skinny" - he's perfectly healthy! He's gaining 1/2 pound a month and that's exactly where he should be.
He got a couple vaccinations and boy was he MAD! This is the first time he's cared about getting shots. And he wasn't hurt... he was just furious. He gave the nurse such a cruel glare after she stuck him. Pretty funny!
In other news, I'm sad to say breastfeeding is just about done. I'm letting him decide when he wants to stop, and the past week I've only been nursing him twice a day - and today was only once. I've tried offering him more and he BITES me. Learned my lesson. He just prefers a sippy cup. I love being so close to him, but I guess he has to grow up at some point. I'm pretty dang proud that I nursed this wiggly, easily-distracted, would rather do ANYTHING than nurse, sweet baby boy for over a year. He better thank me for his increased health and intelligence one day!
In happier news, he has suddenly become the most AWESOME night-time sleeper. Consistently sleeping 11 hours at night without waking up to nurse. We love sleep.
Our buddy Tater is out of town this week. BUT Brent is home on spring break - so Ryland gets LOTS of daddy time and I somehow managed to schedule myself LOTS of extra work (sigh.) I miss my boys when they get to play all day.
Tonight I got home from work at 8:30, so little man had been asleep for an hour already. I want to wake him up to cuddle him... I absolutely hate missing bedtime.

1 comment:
He is a perfect and healthy little boy for sure! We have people tell us the same thing all the time about our boys, and I hate it! They may be small, but they are healthy!
You are such a good mom! Nursing can be so tough; especially if your little one is constantly on the go! You will just have to remind him the rest of his life of the great service that you did for him in nursing him this past year:)
Post a Comment